Jeff Clites <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 11:53 PM, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

[ refcounting continuations ]

>> That's really not needed. If you return from the function and you call
>> it next time, you've again a RetContinuation. If the continuation was
>> created somewhere deeper in the call chain, it's gone or not after the
>> GC cycle.

> But if ctx->current_cont has been promoted to a real continuation (as a
> result of something that happened deeper in the stack), it will never
> be turned back to a RetContinuation,

In the current scheme. I was a bit further ;) Given big frame chunks
and the watermark holding the highest continuation frame. Now during GC
(and when the Continuation is dead) all frames the call chain up can be
compacted and if they had return continuations earlier, these can be
restored.

>> And you know - starting with refcounting one objects ends up
>> with refcounting containers holding that item ...

> Not really. In this case, the only things which are allowed to point to
> a register frame (via a ctx) are the interpreter itself, and
> continuations.

Ok. That should work too.

> JEff

leo