At 1:24 AM -0800 11/11/04, Jeff Clites wrote:
On Nov 10, 2004, at 11:53 PM, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

Jeff Clites <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This OTOH is meaning that we can do the
check only at runtime. Thus the C<tailcall> or C<tailcallmethod> opcodes
have to do plain calls if they detect such a situation.

Yep, although there will be some situations where we can know for sure at compile time--for instance if all function calls within a function are tail calls.

Tail calls should be explicit, compile-time things. Otherwise we're going to run afoul of traceback requirements and suchlike things, and I think that's just not worth the risk and hassle. Besides, it's a lot easier in general for a language compiler to decide when a tail call's in order than it is for us.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk