Juerd writes:

> As we now know, in many situations, << and « mean the same thing. In
> exactly those situations, the same is true for >> and ». However,
> sometimes, « cannot be used where << can. Here-docs are an example.

Why can't « be used for here-docs?  I thought Larry had said they were
completely interchangeable.

> But as « foo bar » and << foo bar >> are the same thing, I wonder what
> qw<< foo bar >> means. Is that qw/< foo bar >/ or is that qw/foo bar/?

I'd hope it's the former -- that is, that « can be substituted for <<
anywhere that << is a single operator, not just somewhere that those two
characters happen to be adjacent to each other in the source, and »
likewise.  Otherwise you could have ridiculous things like:

  m>foo>>0

which parses as:

  m/foo/ > 0

being written as:

  m>foo»0

And that's blatantly of no use to anybody.

Smylers