# New Ticket Created by  Jarkko Hietaniemi
# Please include the string:  [perl #32877]

I am pretty certain that parrot was building fine in Tru64 back in
2004/11/07 15:12:42 when I submitted a patch (directly to CVS)
for jit/alpha/jit_emit.h to get alpha JITing to compile at all.

Since then something has broken building parrot in Tru64.  What happens
is that dynclasses/build.pl attempts something called a "partial
link" for the various Python-related objects, and the attempt fails
because it tries to invoke "ld" with parameters meant exclusively for
the native "cc" (or the C++ compiler "cxx"):

ld -std -D_INTRINSICS -fprm d -ieee -I/p/include -DLANGUAGE_C -pthread
-g   -DHAS_JIT -DALPHA    -L/p/lib -shared -expect_unresolved "*" -O4
-msym -std -s -L/p/lib ../src/extend.o -o python_group.so
lib-python_group.o pybuiltin.o pyobject.o pyboolean.o pyclass.o
pycomplex.o pydict.o pyfloat.o pyfunc.o pygen.o pyint.o pylist.o
pylong.o pymodule.o pynone.o pytype.o pystring.o pytuple.o
ld: Badly formed hex number: -fprm
ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
partial link python_group.so failed (256)

If "ld" in the above is replaced with "cc", things work fine.

I don't know where to start fixing this since the
config/init/hints/dec_osf.pl hasn't change since April,
and the config/gen/makefiles/dynclasses_pl.in (which is
the source of dynclasses/build.pl, which is the one that
issues the mistaken "ld" command) hasn't change since 2004/11/07
in any obvious ways.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special