On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, James Mastros wrote:

OTOH, I realize now you can do that with zip in P6, in which case you do have a mention of the whole variable to stick a my on -- C<my %foo = zip(@keys, @values);> I think C<my [EMAIL PROTECTED] = @values;> reads better though, even though looking at it literally, you're attempting to lexicalize an element.

But dealing with a natural language, or with a programming language that is so strongly inspired by natural languages it doesn't seem so mandatory to have to "look at it literally". I don't know if it will be eventually chosen so, but since (even intuitively speaking) you can't lexicalize an element of an aggregate, an alleged attempt to do so could perfectly well be Perl's lingo for what some people already think to be a logical way to interpret it...

Michele -- The trouble with engineers is that given the problem of knocking down a stack of 100 bricks, they will start at the top, and work all day removing them one at a time, while the mathematician will, after a momemt's thought, remove the bottom brick and be done with it. The "trouble" part, is having to brook the noise of the engineer boasting about how much harder he worked while one is trying to think about the next problem. - Bart Goddard in sci.math