What follows are the notes I have from someone else regarding the name
"comment" for what was previously considered the "label."

It's actually rather important that I have an answer for this, but I
really can't go into more detail (sorry).

Cheers,
Ovid

> It's been settled.  It's officially a "test comment."  Both Schwern
and
> Andy Lester have agreed and since they're the maintainers, that's
good
> enough for me.

It makes good enough sense when you're dealing with the call to the
test:

   ok($blah, "This is a test comment");

But it makes explaining the TAP format a pain. The "test comment" is
everything after the test number or "ok" and before the # comment
marker or end of the line. So, what's everything after the # comment
marker? The other comment? It's a significant difference, too, because:

   ok 1 # skip
   ok 1 - blah, blah, blah # skip

are skips (they have "skip" marked by the # comment marker), while:

   ok 1 skip
   ok 1 - skip

aren't skips, they're just tests that happen to have "skip" as their
name/label/identifier/whatever.

=====
If this message is a response to a question on a mailing list, please send
follow up questions to the list.

Web Programming with Perl -- http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/