On Friday 11 March 2005 08:47 am, theUser BL wrote:
> I have already written this to perl6-all, but it seems, that it doesn't was
> send.
>
> I wanted to know, if any other scripting langue is plans to use parrot.
>
> Your plan of Parrot - as I have understood it - is to have not only a VM
> for Perl. You want to have a VM for diffeent languages, like the JavaVM
> (with the languages Nice and Groovy) and .net, but written esecialy for
> scripting-languages.
>
> But I see two problems:
>
> 1. the license
> Perl is licensed under the GPL and Artistic license. Python is licensed
> under the Python-license and Ruby is licensed under the GPL and its own
> license.
> So, it would be nice, if Parrot would be licensed under the GPL, Artistic
> license, Python-license and Rubys own license.

Ack!  That would be a huge legal mess, and I don't see what problem it would
solve.  The Artistic license alone is so full of holes that you might as well
make your work public domain.

> I don't think, that Python would be public its package with something
> included, which is under an other license then the Python-license.
>
> 2. Parrot is written by Perl-people for Perl
> I think it would be better, if there existing a group of 2 Perl people, 2
> Python people and 2 Ruby people or so, which disigned _together_ a VM for
> scripting languages and then support all this VM.
> At the moment only the Perl people have created it. And it is possible,
> that Python and Ruby don't using it, because they can not identify themself
> with it.
> So it would be a thought, to rewrite Parrot together with the other
> scripting people and then (and can be possible that the new Parrot-VM is
> incompatible to the existing one now) using it all together.
<>

Great idea (except don't rewrite--Parrot is off to a great start already, and
it would be the height of foolishness to throw it all away).  The trick is to
attract developers from those communities with the experiance required to
build a good VM.  In Free Software development, we usually don't have the
luxury of hiring developers--you have to get them interested enough to spend
their free time on the project.