Larry Wall wrote:
The Principle of Maximum Differentiation of Similar Constructs also
tends to argue for eager =.  Plus there's the fact that it's the sort
of restriction we can relax if we figure out how, but it would be hard
to impose if people started to rely on lazy assignment and then we
decided it was a bad idea.

Yep. Does that put =, := etc into a category of operators that are hard to (usefully) overload in classes? I mean the eager = doesn't look like letting the left and right hand side have much to do or decide in the process---other than provide and swallow the value or complain about not beeing able to due so.

Regards,
--
TSa (Thomas Sandlaß)