Tony Bowden wrote:

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
Anyway, I invite everybody to suggest new metrics

I'd like the "is pre-req" thing to be more useful. Rather than a binary
yes/no thing (and the abuses it leads to), I'd rather have something
akin to Google's Page Rank, where the score you get is based not just on
the number of other modules who "link" to you, but how large their score
is in turn.

Schwern already gave a good example of this: Ima::DBI. It really only
has one other module for which it's a pre-req: Class::DBI. But that in
turn has quite a few others. So Ima::DBI should somehow get the benefit
of that.

You may then be interested by CPAN::Dependency[1], which could be used as a first step towards a Module Rank algorithm. Currently, what it does is to give a "score" to each distribution based on the number of times it appears as a prerequisite of another distribution (taking into account the depth of the dependency). As a result you also have for each distribution the list of the distributions that depend upon it.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Dependency/

(eg/report.html contains a few results)

Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni -- - --- -- - -- - --- -- - --- -- - --[ http://maddingue.org ] Close the world, txEn eht nepO