* "David A. Golden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-04-02T05:27:18]
> Andy Lester wrote:
> >Why is there a scoreboard?  Why do we care about rankings?  Why is it
> >necessary to compare one measure to another?  What purpose is being
> >served?
>
> Why is there XP on perlmonks?  Or Karma on Slashdot?  Or for that
> matter, why do we grade students' exams (particularly, why do we often
> grade them on a curve)?

This is not a good analogy to Kwalitee, because XP and Karma are
primarily awarded by humans who can make judgements based on reason.
Kwalitee is a judgement based on statistical analysis.  What if XP on
perlmonks was awarded by automated grammar analysis, use of "strict" in
code snippets, and the finding of dictionary words in acrostic
interpretation of paragraphs?

That wouldn't be so good.

> I think the advantage of a scoreboard system is that metrics like this
> are a motivator.

Absolutely!  Do we want to motivate people to go back and add
pod-coverate.t when they already use Devel::Cover?  Or would we rather
they improve clarify of documentation?  Et cetera.

I think the scoreboard is fun and cute, but I think that there is an
extent to which people are going to let it distract them from actual
improvements.

--
rjbs