On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:31:49PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> The "total" produced by Devel::Cover can be deceiving.  Its a simple
> average and not taking into account things like the fact that
> Mysql::Statement is 171 lines while DBD::mysql is 1753.  So

For statement coverage the value for the total is calculated as the sum
of the covered statements in all the modules over the sum of all the
statements in all the modules.  Totals for other criteria are calculated
similarly.  I think that should make the totals for each criterion
fairly meaningful.  Hovering over the percentages in a graphical browser
should give the figures used to calculate that percentage.

> Mysql::Statement's poor coverage is having a much greater effect on
> the apparent coverage than it really should.  I'm also not sure what
> voodoo Devel::Cover uses to create a "total coverage" out of four
> different types of coverage stats.

That total is calulated as the sum of all the covered constructs over
the sum of all constructs.  That figure has more dubious value as it
assumes that all coverage criteria are equal when we all know that some
criteria are more equal than others.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net