On Wednesday 18 May 2005 12:12, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Juergen Boemmels wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 May 2005 07:52, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> >>I'd say we just drop this test. Whenever you do reasoanble work in the
> >>working tree, you got test files, editor swap file and whatnot.
> >
> > Still it is one of the most often failing tests, because people tend to
> > forget to update MANIFEST when adding files to CVS.
>
> It depends of course on how people organize their work. But I think
> there are basically two cases:

More or less there are 3 cases

> - manicheck a clean repo
In this case no file should be skipped and ignored
Ideally make realclean should bring you back to this state.

> - manicheck a working copy, where you compile and run tests
These are actualy two cases:
- compile and run test.
  Here are extra files should be skipped and ignored,
  otherwise its an error
- develop in the tree. Here extra files are normal

> I have both parrot trees, usual work is:
> a) "svn up" in the clean tree
> b) rsync -au trunk/ leo
> c) work and compile in my tree
> d) manidiff && copy changed files back to trunk
> e) svn ci
>
> Step d) and e) include some scripts that run a manickeck in the clean
> tree. But this sequence doesn't prevent from just forgetting to add a
> file to MANIFEST in leo/ :)

I do pretty much the same, i use 2 checkouts.
To copy changes I use
svn diff | cd ../parrot-clean; patch -p0
before a commit I run
make test

> > Garret Goebel wrote a commitinfo file which warned a commiter if he/she
> > forgot to update the MANIFEST.
>
> perl tools/dev/manicheck.pl in the clean tree does it

so does the old version of
perl -Ilib t/src/manifest.t
but both have the problem, that they walk the tree. This was a problem for
the commitinfo. Don't know if its still a problem in SVN.

> > I have an updated version of t/src/manifest.t I was about to commit but
> > is now conflicting with this latest version.
>
> What about:
>
>    skip("number 6", 1) if -e parrot$EXE;

Then you can skip it always. Even in a clean build there will be a parrot$EXE.

It should be checked that MANIFEST.SKIP and svn:ignore are consistent, i.e.
that all ignored files are in MANIFEST.SKIP and vice versa.
The new checks in t/src/manifest do this, but they drop the orignal check
between MANIFEST and svn

> leo

This little old test gets a lot attention these days
boe