Adrian Howard wrote:
On 8 Jul 2005, at 20:08, Adam Kennedy wrote: [snip]

There's no way to get a listing of the annotations for a given author id, or even for a given dist. So I'm reduced to manually looking through a thousand odd web pages to find potential changes
or improvements to the code.

[snip]

http://www.annocpan.org/~ADAMK/

Complete with RSS feed :-)

Adrian

Nope...
PPI (1 notes; latest 2005-07-04 )
No details on the author page.
Click on PPI...
List of 9 versions of PPI, no information on the notes.
Bzzz...
bug? :)

I'm happy to listen to your suggestions; AnnoCPAN is a work in progress and I'm still adding features and fixing bugs. I've added a couple of ideas from this thread to the request tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=AnnoCPAN . There you can some of the other features I have planned for the near future.

By the way, the note in PPI::Token::Symbol does exist, and you can see it in more recent versions, such as http://www.annocpan.org/~ADAMK/PPI-0.996/lib/PPI/Token/Symbol.pm . I've just fixed the bug that causes it to be listed in versions where it doesn't belong, but I still have to push it to the production server. But sadly the server seems to be down right now and that's beyond my control.

Another feature that will be ready as soon as the server is up is listing the notes by pause_id in HTML format. I'm also considering the possibility of sending automated emails, similar to what rt.cpan.org does. However, I was still unsure about whether to do it opt-in or opt-out (or no-option ;-).

To answer some of the other concerns: If you, as a PAUSE author, upgrade your documentation, making a note obsolete, it is possible to hide it from the new versions while still showing it for the old versions (note that AnnoCPAN keeps all the distribution versions that are currently available on CPAN, which for some authors is just the latest version, but for others it's several, or even all versions of their modules).

I know some people say that it would be better if users just sent patches to the authors instead of posting them on AnnoCPAN. That has some advantages, but I think AnnoCPAN has its advantages as well, because it provides instant gratification for the user, whether the module author is responsive or not, and it allows for adding notes that might not be essential for the official documentation but are still useful. I confess that I wrote it thinking more in the needs of the users than in the needs of the authors, but I'm willing to make it more useful for authors if possible. That's why I added the author RSS feed, and am still working in other features. Suggestions are welcome.