On Jul 11, 2005, at 21:41, Autrijus Tang wrote:

Cool!  However, I wonder if Punie is indeed targetting Perl 1.

As Schwern will attest, Perl 1 is a quite complicated language, with
nullary, unary, binary and ternary functions, arrays, hashes, pattern
matches, transliteration, format, loop control and labels.

As a test case for the Parrot compiler tools, those are certainly useful features to implement. We'll have to deal with them in more "serious" languages anyway. But, we'll see. I'm not promising it'll be an exact match to Perl 1 semantics, but I'd like to push it as close to supporting the full Perl 1 test suite as possible.

Is it Punie's goal to support all of those semantic constructs? If not,
maybe call it something else than Perl 1, to avoid confusion? :)

How about Punie? :)

Allison