Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 11:32:45AM -0400, Robert wrote:
Is the inline POD the current preferred way?
That really depends on who you ask. Me? I prefer it. Its totally a matter of style.
Pros:
* Keeps the docs close to the code so you're more likely to keep the docs up to date.

True if you have docs inline with the code. Which is what I do. Yay folding editor!

* Docs take the place of comments explaining what the routine does avoiding
  duplication.

Documentation and comments serve different purposes IMO, and one can not replace t'other. They differ in purpose because they differ in their audience. Documentation's audience is the *user* of your code - either the end user, or a developer wanting to use your library. Comments are there for the maintainer of your code. Where documentation should describe *what* the code does, comments should describe *how* it does what it does. Comment your algorithms, comment the entry/exit conditions of private methods etc. Comments would also cover stuff like noting any area which you know requires particularly thorough testing to catch any off-by-one errors and the like, or where you might want to refactor in the future.

* Makes it easier to see that each routine has documentation.

Isn't there a module for that? ;-)

* Private docs (=begin/end private) allow you to document private and public
  functions using the same style.

Ooh, I didn't know about that! What revision of perl (or rather, perldoc) did that appear in? I think I'll stick to #comments though - less typing!

--
David Cantrell