Larry Wall wrote:
Well, we thought about opening it up like that, but we really kinda
need to establish what is an official part of the "long name" for
uniqueness purposes, and try to avoid too much visual clutter in
standard usage.

Going with that... I would think that the "official" part is really just the module name. Are there lots of problems with CPAN collisions between different authors? No. People just choose a slightly different name if their preferred one is taken.

It seems the biggest problem is requiring *only* a specific version, or range of versions, or <= a version. I know this is addressed already.

Not trying to rant (really), but one thing that is starting to bother me about Perl 6 is that there's lots of changes that require special syntax for one specific instance. It's making it really really difficult to remember or generalize, two things that I thought we were trying to improve.

-Nate