On Oct 25, 2005, at 5:11 AM, Konovalov, Vadim wrote:

I have a copy of XP Pro: I just installed ActiveState Perl, Visual C+
+ Toolkit 2003, the MS SDK and the .NET SDK (On my Virtual PC
installation on my mac, btw. Only took about 10 hours, on and
off =-)
trying to build parrot using the toolkit command prompt, I get:

Y:\>type test.ldo
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'user32.lib'
-nodefaultlib'
cl : Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-debug'
cl : Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option
'-machine:x86'
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'ut:test.exe'

Suggestions?

You need better environment vars and settings (vcvars32.bat).

That's what I'm using. The Visual Toolkit 2003 Command prompt is, looking at the shortcut: %comspec% /k vcvars32.bat.

Recent
README.win32 from perl distro explain that,

Ah. yes, some detailed instructions there. Updated the parrot README.win32 to at least mention that file, along with a note about an apparent change in directory ('Microsoft Platform SDK' vs. 'Microsoft SDK') -- Once I fixed those directory issues, the Configure test that blew up (above) started working.

and I saw good descriptions at
perlmonks site.

Ok. I had found nothing helpful at perlmonks about this, other than "use vcvars", which I seem to be.

Also, start with compiling perl itself, so you'll be sure settings are ok.

I hate to encourage folks hacking on parrot to have to build anything else, too. (Especially given how long it took me to download and run everything so far. =-)

I tried running with ActiveState Perl, and it all seems fine. one small glitch in the Configure step, but parrot mostly built. After quite a number of spontaneous reboots of the Virtual PC (eek!), I ended up here:

link -out:.\miniparrot.exe -nologo -nodefaultlib -debug - machine:x86 -debug imcc\main.obj blib\lib\libparrot_s.lib oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user 32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib ol eaut32.lib netapi32.lib uuid.lib ws2_32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32
.lib odbccp32.lib msvcrt.lib src\null_config.obj
libparrot_s.lib(array.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _CONST_ST
RING referenced in function _Parrot_Array_class_init
.\miniparrot.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x460'
Stop.