At 15:59 +0100 11/14/05, Michele Dondi wrote:
>I must say that I didn't follow the discussion (complex) very much. But this
>makes me think of this too: the two representations are handy for different
>calculations. It would be nice if they somehow declared what they can do
>better (or at all) and have the "union" take care of which one's methods to
>use.
>
>In another situation, one may implement a system for doing integer arithmetics
>say in base twelve, and in this case one may have an "union" to decide to use
>its .division() method to perform division by three, possibly holding a flag
>telling that the most accurate status is that held in it.

Someday I may become competent to think in perl6 but if we're expanding on the
topic. . .

Complex numbers are much like 2-D vectors, the real ones and not the ordered
lists that are used with hyper operators. A union structure that allows for 3-D
vectors some of which are pseudovectors would be interesting. It would also be
possible to represent vectors in 3-D spherical coordinates.

Oh. . . A pseudovector differs from a vector in that it doesn't change
direction when reflected in a plane mirror. The cross product of two ordinary
vectors is a pseudovector. So is a magnetic field.

As for complex operations which have multiple results I think a principle value
approach makes more sense than a list. It's well established for the inverse
trigonometric functions. Leave RootOf( ) to Maple and Mathematica.

--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--