Dear Nick

thanks. by the way how does one signal Pugs that Parrot is to be used "Externally".?

Nick Glencross wrote:
On 12/26/05, jerry gay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
cygwin *should* compile parrot just fine. the last report i see on
http://smoke.parrotcode.org/smoke/ for i386-cygwin-gcc is from r10487,
which is a few weeks old, though. can any other cygwin users confirm
peter's report? there have been some significant changes to the config
system lately, these may have broken your platform.

The core parrot VM builds on cygwin, but dynclasses don't link. To
help the build along, a quick hack such as 'echo all: >
src/dynclasses/Makefile' can help it along.

dynclasses are nice, but don't prevent parrot being pretty functional
on cygwin. As such, we might want to skip that part of the build until
this is sorted.

OR

work to make Cygwin work (e.g. to Configure.pl Parrot's Makefile)

if it's failing in cygwin, this is the best fix.

I've been revisiting the cygwin build a few times over the last year
to see if I can get dynclasses working, and I can't see an alternative
to building libparrot as a DLL, linking the dynclasses against this
DLL (or a .dll.a stub) and a smalish tweak to the config_string
functionality.

We've currenly got:

Cygwin build parent
https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=36540

dynclasses are not builidng on Cygwin
https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=36836

Relaxing parrot dependency on parrot_config
https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=37303
(The patch has regressed after recent changes)

There's also a thread "Better support for libparrot.so" which will
allow the libparrot.dll to be built cleanly on cygwin
This code isn't yet associated with any particular bug

Nick