Perl6ers,

What is the most commonly used development platform (os and machine) by folks on this group?

PeterS

Steve Peters wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 09:50:49PM -0500, Peter Schwenn wrote:
I've spent a couple of days trying out Cygwin, MinGW, PXPerl, and other Windows based contexts, in order to build Pugs w/Embedded Parrot. I've learned a lot about configuration and little else.

Would I be right in supposing that most people working on Perl6 and Parrot development, and spend relatively little time jiggering configs and makes, are working under Linux on i386 machines? (excluding a few who have had plenty of time to get a VS6/7 or Cygwin or ... environment straightened out.)

These problems have come and gone over the years as people have taken up the
challenge of making Parrot compile and pass its tests on their system.   I
believe, however, that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg as I don't
recall complaints or patches regarding Parrot compiles on z/OS, VMS, BeOS, or
some of the other OS's that Perl 5 currently supports.  My hope and expectation
is that as th various Perl 6 projects start to look more like the end
product, more of these issues will come up.  I also expect that more active
developers will be picked up along the way to deal wtih these problems. So, for me, I'm concerned, but I surely expect that none of these problems on Win32 based systems current is an indication of the level of support to expect from these systems in the future.
Steve Peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]