On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:42:53PM +0100, Mark Overmeer wrote:
: * Damian Conway ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [060315 01:52]:
: > That's why the general Perl 6 Pod syntax allows any block construct to be
: > labelled:
: >
: >     =begin comment (explanation)
: >     The devil made me write this code
: >     =end comment
: >
: >     =begin comment (future implementation)
: >     Add a :devil option
: >     =end comment
: >
: >     =begin comment (design)
: >     See www.dev.il/design/S25.pod
: >     =end comment
: >
: >     =begin comment (etc. etc.)
: >     >:-)
: >     =end comment
:
: But are we still applying huffman encoding here?  I mean: do we really
: write that little comments that long constructs are acceptable?
:
: What about
:
:       =comment explain
:       The devil made me write this code
:
:       =comment future
:       Add a :devil option
:
:       =comment design
:       See www.dev.il/design/S25.pod
:
:       =comment etc. etc.
:       >:-)
:       =cut

Hmm, for single paragraphs, we can huffmanize it further:

      =for explain
      The devil made me write this code

      =for future
      Add a :devil option

      =for design
      See www.dev.il/design/S25.pod

      =for etc. etc.
      >:-)

But of course that doesn't work if those are supposed to be =head-like
in front of bare paragraphs.  In which case the whole thing needs to
be wrapped in =begin/=end and then you really do use =head (or whatever
heading syntax we end up with).

      =cut

We're trying our best to get rid of =cut, which is why =end returns
to the parser state the =begin entered from.  If you put =begin into
code, the =end leaves back into code (unlike in Perl 5).  =cut was
a bad mistake on my part, and I'd like to forget my mistakes.

: Much cleaner, and I don't like Pascal.

You have to admit it helps it to stand out from the non-Pascal
code though...

All that being said, the final syntax hasn't been nailed down yet,
there are certainly differences of opinion among the designers that
you might successfully drive a wedge into.  :-)

But the most important thing we're going to introduce is

    =use MyPodQuirks

so that syntactic and semantic differences are actually documented
somewhere rather than being implicit in the Postprocessor of the Day.
So it'll be easy to drive a cultural wedge between yourself and the
rest of humanity, as long as you describe it to the anthropologists...

That goes for Perl 6 in general too.

Larry