Tassilo von Parseval wrote:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:47:54AM +0100 Fergal Daly wrote:

A  far simpler solution (that I've posted before recently) is to
output test "numbers" like

.1.1
.1.2
.1.3
.2.1
.2.2
.1.4

etc where the first number signifies the thread/process and the second
is just an increasing sequence within that thread. The . is there at
the start so that Test::Harness doesn't get upset.

Interprocess comms using Storable seems like overkill and sounds like
the sort of thing that would have "fun" bugs,

I really don't care how it is done, as long as it is eventually done at
all. :-)

As I can see it, there now exist at least two propositions on how to
fix this problem. The ones responsible for Test::More/Test::Harness
should take any of these proposed solutions and put them in.

I just would like to be able to write test-scripts that fork without
these annoying and ugly counter-mismatch messages. For that I sent one
possible solution which ends my responsibilities in this matter. :-)

Cheers,
Tassilo

Well three, if you include my "redirect fork output to seperate files, and then merge back in at SIGCHLD/END-time" proposal, which would also allow things like testing using other languages.

Really, I just want a solution that works on all platforms, and doesn't involve changing the TAP protocol, because of the number things generating TAP that aren't in Perl, but being read by Perl.

Changing protocols can have big consequences.

Adam K