On Sunday 23 April 2006 15:08, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:07:18 +0100, Adrian Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > On 23 Apr 2006, at 07:02, Andy Lester wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I've removed the meaningless percentages of tests that have
> > > failed.  If you rely on the output at the end, it's different now.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I'll just repeat what I left on Andy's blog here in case anybody
> > agrees with me.
> >
> > ----
> > I don't like the change myself. I'm bright enough to figure out that
> > anything less than 100% pass is bad when developing.
> >
> > When using other peoples test suites seeing, for example, 99% ok
> > tells me something very different from seeing 3% ok. For me the
> > difference between "nearly there apart form this bit of functionality
> > that I don't care about" and "completely f**ked" is useful. Yes I can
> > figure it out from the test/pass numbers - but the percentage gives
> > me a handy overview. Math is hard! :-)
> >
> > Not something I feel /that/ strongly about - but I don't see the
> > utility of the change myself (beyond code simplification in T::H).
> > ----
> >
> > (probably just me :-)
>
> I did not follow the rest of the conversation, but I strongly agree to the
> above statement.

This debate demonstrates why a plugin system is necessary for a test harness.
If it has it, then one can write a plugin to control whether or not
percentages are displayed. So for example, you can install a plugin that does
that, and put this in your .bash_profile:

<<<
export HARNESS_PLUGINS="ControlPercentage"

And then run:

<<<
HARNESS_PERCENT=1 runprove t/*.t

to see the percents, or

<<<
HARNESS_PERCENT=0 runprove t/*.t

to disable them.

I might get to write such a plugin for Test::Run in the upcoming days. If so,
I'll upload it to CPAN and announce it here.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.