Juerd wrote:
>  foo._______:bar

Would suffice for my needs. Not sure if people are willing to give up
their underscore-only method names, though.

When is the last time that you saw an underscore-only method name?

Gaal Yahas wrote:
But it doesn't work across lines:

Take another look at my original proposal: I didn't suggest
_replacing_ whitespace with underscores; I suggested _supplementing_
it[1] - so

      $xyzzy.foo()
      $fooz.:foo()
      $foo. :foo()
      $fa.  :foo()
      $and_a_long_one_I_still_want_to_align.
            :foo()
      $etc. :foo()

would still work, but so would

      $foo._:foo()
      $fa.__:foo()
      $and_a_long_one_I_still_want_to_align._
      $etc._:foo()

...and the latter five would be the recommended way of doing it.

--
Jonathan Lang

[1] This is a nod to TIMTOWTDI; technically, one could be as
restrictive as requiring any block of whitespace in a long dot to
begin with a newline (thus restricting its use to line wrapping and
alignment of the new line) and still have a perfectly viable long dot
syntax.