On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 06:15:34PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
: Er, you should read 'Real' as 'Num' (I originally meant Rational,
: which no longer exists in the newest S06);

Rational still exists in S02--we just don't automatically promote
anything to it currently.  (A pragma could change that default in
a particular lexical scope, of course.)  The main problem with
Rationals is that they tend to waste a lot of bits maintaining
precision that is of little or no use in the real world, and they
can't easily be sized in advance of the calculation if you're planning
to store them in a particular spot.  Floaters win on both counts.

Larry