On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:09:19AM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
: As I recall, it is Larry's wish that the standard distribution for
: Perl 6 be quite small, so that people are encouraged to use CPAN.

Hmm, but also so that people are encouraged to form various standard
distributions, more along the lines of the Linux model.  This is for
a number of reasons.  The distributing organization can sell CDs or
DVDs, of course, but more importantly, can function in a localized editorial
role without tearing up the whole community over such choices.  Also,
different distributions can specialize for different kinds of users.
"Here's the ISP distribution, there's the bioperl distribution."

One thing we could do better than the Linux model is specify how
different distributions must stay compatible and interoperate with
other distributions so that you can load several of them at once.

Larry