在 2006/7/12 上午 12:57 時,chromatic 寫到:

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 21:45, Audrey Tang wrote:

If you think PIR is a language for people to write manually to
code applications in, _and_ it has some legitimate use for deleting files
in :immediate blocks, then your argument may make some sense.

Come on, Audrey! That's a strawman argument. The point is emphatically NOT
that people should be able to delete files in :immediate blocks.

As I said in my previous message, the same problem potentially exists
with :init -- and saying "OH NO THE PARROT DESIGNERS WANT TO REMOVE YOUR HARD DRIVE!! THEY ARE EVIL AND WRONG (and they break static analysis)" is not
productive.

No. With :init, the step of .pir->.pbc, as well as all tools that works with .pir without running it -- including the very important "parrot -o" -- are safe.

The :init is part of the run time. We already know that the runtime needs a sandbox at some point. What we don't know is that why the PIR compiler -- supposedly something that's run only when HLL compilation is done -- would need a special feature for hand-written code alone, and very error- prone at that.

I can see use cases for :init to interact with the user's environment; I cannot see use cases for :immediate to interact with who-knows-what's environment, and break the otherwise intact "same .pir compiles to the same .pbc on the same
environment" property.

Allison and Chip already elected to wait a while and see if someone finds a use for it, that actually requires unbounded evaluation. I now agree with them.

Please stop it.

Er, that's what I'm planning to do.

Thanks,
Audrey