Steffen Mueller wrote:
Hi domm, hi perl.qa,

we had a discussion about distributions with broken versions of Module::Install. Using Module::CPANTS::Kwalitee::* as models I wrote a simple plugin that calculates a Kwalitee metric "uses_broken_installer".

- If the distribution doesn't use Module::Install, it's fine for now.
- If it uses a recent Module::Install, that okay, too.
- If it uses a version of Module::Install that's known to be broken, it doesn't get the kwalitee point.

The BrokenInstaller.pm file is attached. It's a straightforward adaption of what the other metric plugins do.

Feedback is welcome, though I'd rather not talk about the way I determine the version number. It works for all known versions of Module::Install.

domm: What do you think? Is this a good metric? If so, would you like to include the plugin in the distribution or do you want me to upload a separate distribution?

I don't think I like it. It makes me nervous for some reason... For example, who's to say what constitutes a bad version of an installer (actually, this only applies to M::I, since the other installers aren't generally bundled, but I don't mind defending M::I here). In this case, you've declared every version prior to some arbitrary release to be bad. I doubt that is the case. I think there might have been problems with one or two releases, but being an old release is not the same as being a flawed release.

Randy.