Larry Wall writes:
> Maybe we should just make statement modifiers uppercase and burn out
> everyone's eye sockets. :)

I like statement modifiers, and I want them to continue to exist in Perl 6.
But it seems to me that a lot of the most awkward decisions about Perl 6
syntax are awkward precisely because

  EXPR
     if EXPR;
  BLOCK

and

  EXPR;
  if EXPR BLOCK

are so similar.

Bearing that in mind, would the eye-socket-burning

  return $foo
      IF $something;

really be so bad?

Alternatively, perhaps it's possible to find some other morphological or
syntactic device to distinguish statement_modifier:<if> from
statement_control:<if>, for both humans and the compiler.  One option might
be to require an extra token (a postfix complementizer?) before a statement
modifier.  Maybe something like this:

  return $foo
      --- if $something;

--