[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Log:
> Change "env" variables to "context" variables.

> -    $+foo       environmental variable
> +    $+foo       contextual variable

> -    ENV
> +    CONTEXT
>      SUPER
>      COMPILING

> -lexical variable must be declared using "C<env>" rather than C<my> to be
> +lexical variable must have the trait "C<is context>" to be

I realise this comment is a little late, but it occurred to me on seeing
Audrey's recent blog entry mentioning this change.

The motivation for s/environmental/contextual/ is clear: avoiding a term
that's already used for something else.  But, on the same grounds, I'm not
sure that "contextual" is the right term, and especially not C<is context>
-- Perl already has contexts, and this isn't one.

How about "ambient variables" instead?  I believe that captures the same
sense as "environmental".  It's also an adjective, which I think reads more
naturally, especially in declarations:

    my $foo is context;
    say CONTEXT::<$foo>;

versus