  JH> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 07:19:21PM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
  >> * useless curlies
  >>
  >> Something I'm hoping to stamp out is the use of curlies for all if/else
  >> clauses, which makes code taller without making it substantially clearer.
  >> I'd appreciate if you'd use a no-curlies-when-possible style.
  >>
  >> OTOH, if you don't want to do this right away, I'd be OK with a merge
  >> first, and fixing the curlies later.
  >>
  >> OTGH, the project needs automated filters for more coding standards,
  >> including one that that notes (and optionally kills) the excess curlies.

  JH> This is a bad joke, right?  How much of your life are you intending to
  JH> spend on chasing down hard to find missing braces bugs?

heh, this brings me back to my coding standards issues from when i did
tons of c. i ALWAYS used braces so you could visually see the
conditional or block of code. i was so glad when i switched to perl that
braces were manditory. there are so many bug issues with dangling
if/else clauses and unless you used pythonicly strict indenting, you
were going to have them unless you used braces. the extra lines used are
easily offset by better windowing editors, block hiding, and other
things and also the reduction in bugs makes that minor sacrifice well
worth it. but since i don't hack on parrot code i will just leave it at
that. braces RULES!!

back to lurking,

uri

--