jerry gay wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> My preference: soft limit 80   - keep lines shorter, if it's easy
>>                hard limit ~100 - you SHALL not exceed it
>>
> coding standards are quite helpful, but cannot be applied absolutely.
> there are good reasons why a line of code might exceed some arbitrary
> number of characters, like those mentioned above. therefore i'd like
> to avoid a *hard* limit, where for example patches will be rejected if
> the line length exceeds this amount.

Don't forget that some programs, like mailers, wrap at 80 characters.
Although there is not much mailing of code, other programs may
unexpectedly wrap it. It is best to keep it under 80 if at all possible.

--
__END__

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   --- Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them."
  Aristotle