Am Montag, 4. September 2006 00:15 schrieb Jonathan Worthington:
> Hi,
>
> As discussed at YAPC::Europe, here's my suggestions for two new core
> PMCs to handle:
>
> * References to a particular element in an aggregate type
> * References to a register

NB: typical usage for these besides dotnet: Tcl's upvar or P5 local lvalue
refs (maybe).

> The second of these needs an opcode to create it, which I have
> proposed a name for. The first of them I'd *like* to have an opcode to
> create for consistency, but we can do it by passing stuff to
> parameters to the PMC initialization method I *think* (can we?).

We can pass one additional PMC argument, which is handled by the C<init_pmc>
vtable.

  .local pmc reg_ref, initializer
  reg_ref = new .WeakRegisterRef, initializer

It's up to the PMC what the initializer actually is.

> These are basically working in .Net and the plan is to move the
> functionality into the core, as well as complete the safety stuff in
> the Parrot core to really get the "weak reference" semantics when
> referencing a register.

> Jonathan

leo