Leo wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Bear with me on the VMSish filenames; "xxx;1" is the original
> > version, "xxx;" is the patched version of the file.
>
> I wrote a small perl helper, dealing with that. But what
> about filenames like:
>
> +++ lib/parrot.configure/step.pm;
>
> which actually is:
>
> +++ lib/Parrot/Configure/Step.pm

As I said: bear with me. The filenames looked like [lib.Parrot.Configure]Step.pm
originally, and I tried to make things easier for a *ix diff by unixifying them.
Obviously I failed miserably... ;-)

I now have an original source tree at the side of my devel directory, so I can
diff -urdN the whole thing. This makes things interesting another way, though,
because the files' capitalization is lost that way. <sigh>

Please disregard the patch posted, as (it contained a bug and) I've done
some more work last night. I now have a version that runs through Configure.pl
without errors. The settings generated look sound, and the generated makefiles
don't look too bad [1], but are not yet totally MMS-clean. I'll come back
with a patch (against the latest SVN revision, of course) when it's good enough
to be published.

That said, it was a relatively painless port so far.
Thanks to all who wrote the configuration scripts with portability in mind.

cu,
  Martin

[1] for a make/MMS comparison, please see
    http://vms.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/VMS_Programming_FAQ.html#4.1.
    (and yes, the trailing dot is part of the URL)

--
                        | Martin Vorlaender  |  OpenVMS rules!
 VMS is today what      | work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Microsoft wants        |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
 Windows NT 8.0 to be!  | home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]