Bernhard Schmalhofer wrote:
One thing that I noticed is the naming of the new field UUID.

 |        |        | The UUID is |
| | | computed by applying the hash function specified in | | | | the UUID type field over the entire packfile not |
 |        |        | including this header and the trailing zero padding

Shouldn't this field be renamed to something like 'checksum' ? The term 'UUID' already has a specific meaning, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID.
Yup, and I meant for that field to be a UUID. In the article you linked to it does mention the use of hash functions to create a UUID, but yes, it ain't the only way. So a clarification that using a hash function isn't the only way to create a UUID would be good; I'll get it in there. (When I manage to nab some time to do stuff...working quite a few hours at $day_job, on-site and abroad at the moment...)

Thanks,

Jonathan