> While I'm in general agreement with everything you've said it makes me a
> tad  nervous to hinge so much on the difference of one character.  Can you
> imagine trying to track down the bug where
>
>     if ($alpha === $beta) { ... }
>
> really should have been
>
>     if ($alpha == $beta) { ... }
>
> Anyway, it's not like this problem wasn't already there, it's just that
> your email made it stand out to me.

I'm not adding support to either side of the issue.  I just wanted to point
out that with Perl 5 and other current languages I occasionally have to
search for that bug right now.  Except it is spelled a little different with

  if ($alpha = $beta) { ... }

When I really meant:

  if ($alpha == $beta) { ... }

It is rare though.  I think the == vs === will be rare also.

Paul