Alek Storm wrote:

> So, that still means :method can mean two different things, depending
> on whether :vtable is present or not.  That's still bad.

How so? Without :vtable, :method adds a method to the class. With
:vtable, :method adds a method to the class.

Without :vtable, :method adds a method to the class.  With :vtable,
:method doesn't add a method to the class - it makes the sub visible.
Two completely different things.

You've misunderstood how the features work. Vtables and methods are stored separately from each other. Both :vtable and :method say "this code entity isn't a subroutine, and isn't visible as a subroutine".

Perhaps it would be clearer to you if we were using:

.sub
.endsub

.method
.endmethod