On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:18 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:47:55AM -0700, Andy Dougherty wrote:
# New Ticket Created by  Andy Dougherty
# Please include the string:  [perl #42620]

Both t/compilers/pge/p5regex/p5rx.t and
     t/compilers/pge/p6regex/01-regex.t
are failing with the following error message:

t/compilers/pge/p5regex/p5rx.............Parrot VM: PANIC: Out of mem!
C file src/gc/memory.c, line 97
Parrot file (not available), line (not available)

I believe that both of these tests are currently being run with
the -G flag, which should mean that Parrot is not doing any garbage
collection:

    $ head -2 t/compilers/pge/p5regex/p5rx.t
    #!./parrot -G
    # Copyright (C) 2001-2006, The Perl Foundation.

    $ head -2 t/compilers/pge/p6regex/01-regex.t
    #!./parrot -G
    # Copyright (C) 2001-2007, The Perl Foundation.

Given the number of tests that run, I'm not too surprised
that they run out of memory when -G is present.

This does prompt the question of removing -G from the tests,
but the last time I looked into doing this (about a month ago) Parrot
still had intermittent GC errors that would cause random
failures in the tests.  After a lot of discussion on the mailing
list and in #parrot I think it was decided that running the
tests with -G was preferable to having random test failures
showing up in the pge tests due to GC problems in Parrot.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the report!

(Should we close this ticket?)

Pm

Actually I believe it was mixed, it should be -G for releases, but be garbage collected on development. Developers will always have a harder time fixing bugs if they can't reproduce them, and hiding a bug in the core that pge exposes isn't good for discovering them. The attached patch might do the right thing, but I'm not positive.