On Apr 22, 2007, at 12:59 AM, chromatic wrote:

On Saturday 21 April 2007 21:26, Patrick Rutkowski wrote:

I was just reading (s/reading/trying to read/) the same routine
earlier this morning. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my
confusion.

Me too, but I'm now seriously wondering *why* you were reading it. It's not the lightest, brightest part of the code (not that I'm complaining that
someone else is looking over it).

I'm not looking at it for any particular reason. My interest in
helping work on parrot began only yesterday. First I spent last night
reading a few pdds. Then this morning in an effort to familiarize
myself with the implementation details I opened up main.c and just
started reading line by line assuming hello.pasm as
input. Unfortunately Parrot_alloc_context() is the first non-trivial
code that one runs into when doing that. The call stack basically
goes:

main() ->
  Parrot_new() ->
    make_interpreter() ->
      create_initial_context() ->
        Parrot_alloc_context() ->
          walk_away_from_computer_in_confusion()

Is it possible to track down the author of those odd bit-shifting
statements in order to ask him about it directly? I would do it myself
but I'm still learning my way around the finer points of SVN.

I only traced it as far back as the CVS -> SVN shift. Since then, Leo and Bob Rogers touched it, but apart from a few optimizations and the big change to
variable-sized register frames, I didn't see the origins of the most
confusing parts:

        http://svn.perl.org/viewcvs/parrot?rev=9645&view=rev

In that case I'll keep on digging. If I pinpoint the person who authored
the confusing bits then I'll forward him a link to this thread on
nntp.perl.org.