On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 05:26:22PM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> > I can't think of a clean, portable, efficient way to test that a floating
> > point variable is zero other than == 0.0;
>
> Nor can I.  Thus you either use lots of platform-specific code (determined
> by Configure.pl) or turn off gcc's -Wfloat-equal warning flag and just
> write f == 0.0.
>
> Personally, I'd just turn off the -Wfloat-equal flag, but I have no
> objection if someone else wants to do all the work to do it the other way.

FWIW, I'm in favor of turning off the -Wfloat-equal flag and using
the f == 0.0 test.  Using f == 0.0
   * immediately obvious to understand
   * portable
   * correct
   * more efficient
   * less code

Somehow I have difficulty seeing that the benefit
(potentially catching a few floating point equality comparisons)
is worth compromising on all of the above.

Pm