On 26/08/07, Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. August 2007 20:14 schrieb Paul Cochrane:
> > The variable ins2 is freed by the call to subst_ins() but is then
> > later assigned to later in the if-block. Um, this isn't a good idea
> > is it?
>
> Why shouldn't you be able to assign a new value to a freed mem location? Your
> proposed change would create a memory leak.

I don't know.  That's why I asked the question in the first place.  I
thought that a freed mem location would then cause some kind of error
if one then tries to do something with it.  This is also an
opportunity for me to understand why the tool to help us weed out
these problems says that a problem exists here.  So, why would a
warning be issued in this case?  Is there something nonstandard or
potentially unsafe that we're doing here?

Paul