On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:03:38AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:03:32AM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:
> > The 'copy' opcode is similar to 'clone' but it reuses the PMC header of
> > the destination register. It takes two PMC arguments.
> >
> > The opcode will be implemented by calling the 'morph' and 'assign'
> > vtable functions.
>
> Just a note that there are a lot of the built-in types -- especially
> the aggregate and subroutine types -- that don't currently have
> implementations of 'assign'.  This is why I've been favoring
> solutions that somehow use clone instead of morph+assign .

On the other hand, since the primary reason for having a 'copy'
opcode is to be able to implement variations of 'assign',
using 'morph' and 'assign' vtable functions might be more
accurate.  So, I'm not as much in favor of using clone as
before, and will leave it up to wiser heads and implementors
to decide.  :-)

Pm