Patrick R. Michaud via RT wrote:

The opcode will be implemented by calling the 'morph' and 'assign' vtable functions.

Just a note that there are a lot of the built-in types -- especially
the aggregate and subroutine types -- that don't currently have implementations of 'assign'. This is why I've been favoring
solutions that somehow use clone instead of morph+assign .

The 'assign' vtable entry currently defaults to calling the 'set' vtable entry, which kind of defeats the purpose of first reclaiming the existing PMC header. With the implementation of PDD 17, we can set up a saner default implementation of 'assign', since the majority of PMCs will be storing their core information in the data struct. It won't be much work to add a custom 'assign' vtable entry to the few PMCs that don't use the standard.

Allison