On Dec 21, 2007 8:53 AM, John Siracusa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FWIW, my reasoning in this area is based on Laziness: single quotes mean I
> don't have to scan the string looking for interpolated stuff when reading
> code.  Double quotes mean I do, and I'm annoyed at the waste of time when
> scan and find nothing.  "Why didn't this guy just use singles here?"  It's
> (mildly) misleading.

+1, as the kids these days say.

I use singles by default for literal strings.  I switch to doubles when I
need to interpolate, or for text containing apostrophes (though it would be
more consistent to use q[...] in the latter case.  I use qq and qw all the
time, but rarely q for some reason).

The single-quoted string literal has become such a habit that I frequently
make mistakes in other C-like languages that use the two types of quotation
marks to make the character/string distinction.

--
Mark J. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>