On Sat Jun 21 17:49:51 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Per #parrot:
>
> <apeiron> I'm trying to submit a smoke for parrot 0.6.3 on FreeBSD and
> I'm getting this error: * Sending data to smokeserver
> "http://smoke.parrotcode.org/smoke/
> "... error: The submitted smoke has an invalid format! Am I
>            missing something, or did I do something incorrectly?
[snip]

> I put 28470 in the appropriate spot and the smoke server accepted it,
> though it'd be nice to not have to do this. Especially if we get
> automated smoking going.

<rant>

Welcome to the bizarro world of the Parrot smoke server.

Consider yourself fortunate that you got some feedback indicating you
had an invalid format -- even though the reason for the invalidity is
absurd.  What is perhaps worse is the case where the smoke server
*appears* to accept the report but never displays it and never tells you
when it doesn't display it.  This can happen for reasons as stupid as
having a C compiler listed as 'gcc-4.0' rather than 'gcc'.

See RT 49276 for other issues with the smoke process.  I have been told
that someday Smolder will be the solution to our problems, but I suspect
we will never get there until someone who is skilled in setting up web
sites and CGI processes can set up a site where we can experiment with
other smoke setups.  (We can't do that with the current site because
it's too big a drain on the volunteer time of the sysadmins.)

</rant>

kid51