HaloO,

I wrote:
That is you can do the usual
Int arithmetic in the ranges Inf..^Inf*2 and -Inf*2^..-Inf except
that Inf has no predecessor and -Inf no successor. Well, and we lose
commutativity of + and *. I.e. 1 + $a != $a + 1 if $a is transfinite.

Well, we can of course count downwards from Inf to Inf-1, Inf-2, etc.
That is we don't have a global sign but signed coefficients with the
highest multiple of Inf determining the side of Zero we are on.

For the Num type we also might consider reciprocals of Inf as
infinitesimals. The only thing we need to define then is at which
points in computations these hypernums are standardized back into
Num ;)

An application for transfinite Ints is if you have two "infinite" files
concatenated into one. Then you can keep transfinite indices into the
second one. The size of such a file would be Inf*2 of course.

Regards, TSa.
--

"The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity" -- C.A.R. Hoare
"Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- A.J. Perlis