NotFound (via RT) wrote:

The Parrot_get_runtime_prefix in src/library.c return a char *,
forcing the places that currently uses it to be more complicated than
desired for no real gain. I added and used a STRING * variant named
Parrot_get_runtime_path (that name makes more sense to me) in r31216

The question is: must we retain the old variant, kill it, deprecate
it, use his name for the new version, or revert the change and stay
with the char * way?

'STRING *' is vastly preferable to 'char *' anywhere it can be used. Mark the old one as deprecated, replace all calls to 'Parrot_get_runtime_prefix' with calls to 'Parrot_get_runtime_path', and after a standard one release deprecation cycle remove the old function.

Allison