On 2009 Feb 15, at 22:50, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Leon Timmermans wrote:
+=item sysopen

I vote for sysopen (and all other sys functions) to be wiped out of existence.

Disagree -- I think these belong in IO::Unbuffered. Maybe we could make that optional, though

I think sysopen etc. should go away, instead allowing open() to specify unbuffered. In general anything that exposes a system file descriptor is an abstraction violation (unless in a module which is intended to do so; IO::Posix?).

The original intent behind sysopen() was to allow system file descriptor mode flags to be used; this was a workaround for perl5's open being insufficiently flexible.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu