On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

On 2009 Feb 15, at 22:50, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Leon Timmermans wrote:
+=item sysopen

I vote for sysopen (and all other sys functions) to be wiped out of existence.

Disagree -- I think these belong in IO::Unbuffered. Maybe we could make that optional, though

I think sysopen etc. should go away, instead allowing open() to specify unbuffered. In general anything that exposes a system file descriptor is an abstraction violation (unless in a module which is intended to do so; IO::Posix?).

I'm not convinced about it being an option to open, but if you said instead that it should be an attribute on a role (IO::Openable?), then I'd happily agree.

The original intent behind sysopen() was to allow system file descriptor mode flags to be used; this was a workaround for perl5's open being insufficiently flexible.

        That's good to know; thanks.

        :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayl...@wayland.id.au    | I am                           |