On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:53:21AM -0800, yary wrote:
> I have rakudo built under my parrot directory. I updated and rebuilt
> parrot, then updated and rebuilt rakudo, but rakudo won

A longer announcement should be hitting the list later today,
but for now the recommended build sequence for rakudo is:

  $ git clone git://github.org/rakudo/rakudo.git
  $ cd rakudo
  $ perl Configure.pl --gen-parrot
  $ make

The --gen-parrot option to Configure.pl causes it to
automatically download and build the appropriate Parrot
revision for whatever version of Rakudo you happen to have.

If you get a later version of Rakudo, you can re-invoke
Configure.pl with --gen-parrot to build a new version of
Parrot if necessary.  (If the version you already have
is sufficient, then --gen-parrot just uses that.)

Hopefully this will make things easier for people wanting
to use Rakudo, and it's the method I recommend from now on.

Going back to the original post:

> ~/parrot $ svn up
> (lots of files update)
> ~/parrot $ gmake
> (parrot re-builds OK)
> ~/parrot $ cd languages/rakudo/
> ~/parrot/languages/rakudo $ git pull
> (files update)
> ~/parrot/languages/rakudo $ gmake
> [...]
> Is there something I need to do after "git pull"? Any other tips?

You probably needed to do another Configure.pl invocation
prior to the gmake step here, so that Rakudo's Makefile is
updated.

Also, if building Rakudo from inside a Parrot tree (which
we're no longer really doing any longer), it's a really
good idea to do "make realclean" for both Rakudo and Parrot
prior to building.  Otherwise it's easy for things to become
out-of-sync.

Or better still, just use the --gen-parrot option described
above, and let Configure.pl do all the work.  :-)

Pm